Well here we are into the next year, though this article is done a month early. In the tradition of keeping you up to date on businesses that cater to the Goth underground, I simply must shout the praises of Fashion Martyr located at http://www.liliesandremains.com. This site offers custom clothing at very reasonable prices, but also the biggest coffin shaped pillows I have seen to date. At 2 feet long by 1 foot wide, these are simply magnificent works of art that are comfy and big enough for the couch to make a goth statement. Do check them out and tell them I sent you!
At this point in time, there is no mistaking that the bloodsucking leaches of Universal-Vivendi who bought out MP3 are still looking for ways of turning a buck at the artists expense. Do yourselves a favor and locate the music on MP3 but download from Ampcast at www.ampcast.com for higher quality sound. You'll be glad you did, especially if you are into burning your own CD's.
The latest news on the musical front is that the major labels are attempting to encode all future CD's with a system that will NOT allow the consumer to listen to the music on their PC, DVD, or Playstation. The argument that they are losing money to the file traders seems to be the benchmark for this decision. A trial run was conducted in Europe which infuriated the consumers who returned the merchandise in droves. DO NOT buy this bogus excuse to jack up prices on music yet again. The same companies that always cry foul seem to be the same ones who treat the artists like crap and pay them peanuts on the dollar for each CD sold.
In the event that you somehow get rooked unknowingly, return the item to the place of purchase and tell them it is defective.
The Hidden Sanctuary was given a new lease on life at Ampcast and the new year also has the show going live on www.myradioonline.com from 8 to 11 pm Eastern Standard time every Thursday night. The show is sponsored by the Alternative Static Foundation, an organization for the prevention of teen suicide. Future shows anticipate giving the underground DJ's a forum to strut their stuff on the air with their own specially created mixes for the show. Be sure to tune in to find out what DJ's across the globe find to be the hottest music at the most up-to-the-minute point in time.
Mephisto Walz : On The Road Again!
Fans of Mephisto Walz, listen up! They will be appearing at BackBeat in San Jose California on Feb. 24th and are gearing up for a mini tour to connect with the fans who continue to support their great work. Check their work out at www.mp3.com/mephistowalz.
Every Dog Has Its Day!
Not everything in MP3 world is bad, particularly when you find some awesome bands that defy description. Chiwawa is one such band from Canada, and despite the name which may seem odd, they have an awesome sound that is solid, backed by the wonderfully strong vocals of Laurie Gordon. For song samples, check them out at www.mp3.com/chiwawa or their web page at www.chiwawafanclub.com.
Gothcon is gearing up and will be in New Orleans from March 28th to the 30th. There is a great T-shirt logo with bat wings held together by a red ribbon. Tons of bands will be there for this charity event. For more info, go to www.gothcon.com.
Major thanks to Azriel Knight, editor of Comatose Rose, for all the assistance with the creation of the HTML coding for the Hidden Sanctuary station on MP3. Bands interested in reviews for the magazine should go to http://www.comatoserose.cjb.net/. Also, anyone needing HTML coding for their web pages will find Azriel's rates very reasonable.
Regenerator is out with their fifth release, WAR, and also has some sound samples available on Mp3 at www.mp3.com/regenerator. Check out the track Once Chance, remixed by the underground darlings Collide!
Tapping The Vein given a Tourniquet!
The band's much anticipated release, The Damage from Nuclear Blast Records, has been pushed back to March 3rd 2002 for the European market and April 16th 2002 for the US market. Some internet radio stations have been fortunate enough to have pre-releases of this CD, and from the sounds of it, the fans will be blown out of the water like never before.
The good thing about the delay, however, is the label has been putting a bit of cash behind the PR and even hired an independent firm to get the music out to the masses. Even nicer still, German magazines who have received an advance copy of The Damage have given the disc a 9 out of 10 rating points!
As far as bands go, Tapping The Vein must have the market on nice. You couldn't ask for nicer or more grateful musicians if you tried.
The Beatles Went Goth!
Dissonance came out with a new CD from Nilaihah records. One particular gem of a cover track, Eleanor Rigby, has many tongues wagging that a Beatles tune was made to sound even better than the original. For this and other music samples, check the Nilaihah web page at www.nilaihah.com. While your there, sample the video to The Azoic's slamming industrial track, Lost!
Of Interest to Gothic Pagans!
The band Emerald Rose, comprised of artists who create dark Pagan Celtic music, some of which fall within the parameters of Goth. They are currently embarking on a US tour, so if any venue is interested in booking the band, simply contact them from their web site at www.emeraldrose.com. If anyone is interested in purchasing their music, the band benefits most if you order directly from their website or from CDnow.
We all have to get older, and it is a fact of life. Sharing this next bit should make those of you with the encroaching days of age laugh a bit while peering down the pistol of the twilight of your years.
THE PERKS OF BEING OVER 40
1. Kidnappers are not very interested in you.
2. In a hostage situation you are likely to be released first.
3. No one expects you to run into a burning building.
4. People call at 9 PM and ask, "Did I wake you?"
5. People no longer view you as a hypochondriac.
6. There is nothing left to learn the hard way.
7. Things you buy now won't wear out.
8. You can eat dinner at 4 P.M.
9. You can live without sex but not without glasses.
10. You enjoy hearing about other people's operations.
11. You get into heated arguments about pension plans.
12. You have a party and the neighbors don't even realize it.
13. You no longer think of speed limits as a challenge.
14. You quit trying to hold your stomach in, no matter who walks into the room.
15. You sing along with elevator music.
16. Your eyes won't get much worse.
17. Your health plan is beginning to pay off.
18. Your joints are more accurate meteorologists than the national weather service.
19. Your secrets are safe with your friends because they can't remember them either.
20. Your supply of brain cells is finally down to manageable size.
21. You can't remember who sent you this list.
GAMES FOR WHEN WE ARE OLDER:
1. Sag, You're it.
2. Pin the Toupee on the bald guy.
3. 20 questions shouted into your good ear.
4. Kick the bucket.
5. Red Rover, Red Rover, the nurse says Bend Over.
6. Doc Goose.
7. Simon says something incoherent.
8. Hide and go pee.
9. Spin the Bottle of Mylanta.
10. Musical recliners.
SIGNS OF MENOPAUSE:
1. You sell your home heating system at a yard sale.
2. Your husband jokes that instead of buying a wood stove, he is using you to heat the family room this winter. Rather than just saying you are not amused, you shoot him.
3. You have to write post-it notes with your kids' names on them.
4. The Phenobarbital dose that wiped out the Heaven's Gate Cult gives you four hours of decent rest.
5. You change your underwear after every sneeze.
6. You're on so much estrogen that you take your Brownie troop on a field trip to Chippendale's.
SIGNS OF WEAR:
OLD IS WHEN...Your sweetie says, "Let's go upstairs and make love," and you answer, "Pick one, I can't do both!"
OLD IS WHEN...Your friends compliment you on your new alligator shoes and you're barefoot.
OLD IS WHEN...A sexy babe catches your fancy and your pacemaker opens the garage door.
OLD IS WHEN...Going bra-less pulls all the wrinkles out of your face.
OLD IS WHEN...You don't care where your spouse goes, just as long as you don't have to go along.
OLD IS WHEN...You are cautioned to slow down by the doctor instead of by the police.
OLD IS WHEN..."Getting a little action" means I don't need to take any fiber today.
That's all the news at the fingertips for this month. Be sure to support the underground scene by purchasing music to demonstrate that THIS is the style YOU want to hear.